Lawson's 818C

July 2022 Update: Transmission Fixed and Autocross Testing

July 2022 Update: Transmission Fixed and Autocross Testing Transmission Rebuild I ended up dropping the money on a Quaife QDH3Y limited slip differential to drop into the car. It cost about $930 shipped direct from Quaife in the UK. All the US resellers had big markups on the diff. Quaife’s website makes it look […]

Feb 2022 Update!: Transmission Failure

Elementor #2272 It been a long time since my last update! Some general info here: The car now lives my startup’s headquarters in Dawsonville, GA. Way more space, just no more time! I’ve put about 5,000 miles on the car including a couple track days and autocrosses. Pretty much nothing else has changed (besides what’s […]

November 2020 Update #3: First Track Day!

Track Day: I took the 818 to its first track day at Atlanta Motorsports park. I got to do 2 sessions of about 10 laps each. Overall the car did great! It was certainly fast and the temperatures all stayed in check throughout the session. The car does need some alignment improvements and working ABS/proportioning […]

November 2019 Update #2: No More Check Engine Light!

Engine So I spent yet another weekend mostly troubleshooting engine issues. I had hoped that the ECU swap would be a nice 10 min fix-everything solution but that was far from the case. I swapped the ECU’s and everything stayed exactly the same which was quite disappointing. I quadruple checked my AVCS wiring and found […]

September 2019 Update #4: Back to Go-Kart

Chassis Reattached rear suspension, axles, and crossmember to put the car back on the ground Bled my clutch line. I’m not sure why exactly, but I have had a very difficult time getting my clutch master to actually suck new fluid out of the reservoir while bleeding. Instead it tries to suck fluid back from […]

March 2019 Update #3: Brake plumbing, seatbelts, still leaking coolant…

Brakes Lines plumbed to all 4 wheels. Master cylinder lines waiting for a new MC. ABS sensors installed and wiring secured. My NC miata master cylinder didn’t work out… :(. Couldn’t get the front line to clear the frame. Another guy on the forum bought a RHD miata booster+master which I would say is a […]

January 2019 Update #2: Engine Idle Fixed, Odds and Ends

Engine 3rd ECU was finally tuneable! I adjusted the fuel injector size and latencies to match the 2005 WRX Sti stock tune which are what my fuel pump, fuel rail, and injectors are from. Idle is fixed after finding a open vacuum port on the intake. There are quite a few of these and I […]

First Start!!!!

The car has finally started without any mechanical carnage! (See video) It has a new passenger cylinder head now since the last attempt. Engine I disassembled the engine while it was still in the car. This involved removing the timing components, turbo, partially removing the intake, the intercooler, misc hoses, and half of the exhaust […]

December 2018: First start attempt (ended poorly)

Engine So…I attempted to start the engine and things did not go as planned. It turned over fine at first. It backfired a couple times for the first crank or two but the engine never started. Then I heard the timing belt slip followed with a noise that I’m pretty sure was the piston and […]